Sunday, March 2, 2008

Recyling Adventures!

So I recently learned how to take old sweaters and recycle them to reuse the yarn. I went to Goodwill and found this sweater:

Then I ripped it all apart and wound up the yarn into balls. I used my chair to wind the skeins and measure the amount of yarn I had.

Each wrap around my chair is equal to 1.25 yards. So by multiplying the number or wraps by that length, I get the length in each skein.
Then each skein got washed and dried.

Then once they are dry, I made a little label for them, and they are ready to knit with!


I bought the sweater at Goodwill for a whopping $6.99. After unraveling it and skeining it up, I had 1724 yards of yarn. It is a really soft wool/cashmere/angora/rayon blend. I found a similar yarn online that goes for $8.50 a ball. So the retail of all the yarn I got was around $74! I am going to use it to make this sweater:

I should definetly have enough have enough to make the sweater, hopefully with leftovers for a pair of socks or something.

No comments: