Monday, October 18, 2010

Weekend Recap Part #1

This past weekend was very busy, but it was busy with fun things so it was worth all the hustle.
The first event that happened this weekend was the Crick Family Fall Party. I've been told this is a yearly occurrence. We spent a good portion of Friday night getting lights strung up and the yard and shop set up for the party. Then Saturday morning was more party decorating, chili making, finishing up with a nap for me Saturday afternoon.
Guests started coming at about 6pm. There was a DJ set up in the yard too and lots of dancing occured. Yes including the Chicken Dance.

There was a ton of food there too. Lots of desserts, drinks, hot dogs and chili. There was a chili cook-off contest so many families brought a crock-pot of chili with them. I made a pot of my vegetarian chili and entered it. I didn't think many people would like it, but I actually won the cook-off. I got a fuzzy new blanket as my prize.

The chili is actually really easy to make. I'm going to include the recipe for any who might be interested.
Elizabeth's (Prize-Winning) Vegetarian Chili
1 can Chili beans
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can Mexicali corn (drained)
1 can refried beans
1 small jar of salsa
1 can (or equivalent amount) of broth

Mix all ingredients together into a crock-pot and heat. Serve with Frito's and cheese.

See its easy. You can make it non-vegetarian by using chicken broth and adding some cut up cooked chicken to the pot.

No comments: